12.12.2017 PGNiG starts drilling new production well in Pakistan

A fifth well in the Rehman field will allow the company to increase its natural gas output. PGNiG is currently producing almost 0.5 mcm of natural gas per day from Pakistani fields, with a total of over 300 mcm extracted since mid-2013. All gas output is sold on the local market.

The drilling work is being performed by a PGNiG Group company Exalo Drilling SA under the Kirthar production licence. The field is located in the Sindh province, in the south-eastern part of the country. The target length of the well is approximately 2,870 m. Rehman-4 will be the fifth production well, after Hallel X1, Rehman-1, Rehman-2 and Rehman-3.

“We aim to gradually increase natural gas output in Pakistan and consolidate our position on the local market. We are currently producing from two fields – Rehman and Rizq, but odds are good that we will be able to bring on stream another three fields under the Kirthar licence. We are also analysing the feasibility of expanding the local production infrastructure,” said Piotr Woźniak, President of the PGNiG Management Board.

The company has applied to the Pakistani government for the strategic partner status, which would enhance PGNiG’s position on the local market and give it the right to secure licences without competitive bidding.

In Pakistan, PGNiG produces tight gas (compressed natural gas trapped in rock pores). The method used to extract tight gas is hydraulic fracturing.

PGNiG SA holds operatorship and a 70% interest in the Kirthar licence, with the other 30% held by Pakistan Petroleum Limited. Two gas fields, Rehman and Rizq, have been discovered in the area so far. Since 2015, permanent gas production facilities have been in operation on the Rehman field, PGNiG’s first field infrastructure of this type outside Poland.

PGNiG SA has been present in Pakistan for 20 years, alongside other PGNiG Group providing oilfield services. Exalo Drilling SA provides drilling services, while geophysical and data processing services are provided by Geofizyka Toruń SA.